Do you dread the time of periods because of the pain you have to bear? Are you constantly on the run looking for pain killers. You can take a sigh of relief because now there is a solution to your problem. Check the following Yoga poses for period cramps that help you get rid of the pain.
Head to Knee Forward Bend – Janu Sirsasana
Benefits of Head to Knee Forward Bend Pose:
- It relaxes the body and help you get rid of period pain
- The pose also helps to relieve back pain which often accompanies periods
- It stretches your thighs and hips
How to do Head to Knee Forward Bend?
- You need to start by sitting in the staff pose. Your legs must be extended long. Start moving the hands behind the hips and start pressing the palms flat into the mat.
- Start lengthening your spine as you take a deep inhale. Start pulling the right knee towards the body
- You also need to lower the right leg down. As a result, the outside of the leg will rest flat on the floor.
- Now start breathing in and the finger tips must reach to the sky. Start hinging from the hips, start to lower the upper body towards the extended leg. Make use of the fingertips to reach for the toes.
Standing forward Fold (Uttanasana) Pose:
Benefits of Standing forward fold (Uttanasana) Pose:
- When you practice this pose on a regular basis, then it helps to improve your posture
- Most women develop back stiffness during periods. The best thing about this pose is that it helps to relieve the stiffness
- The best part is that the pose also helps to increase the flexibility of the hips
How to do the Standing forward fold?
- You must stand in the mountain pose. The feet should be at hip-with distance apart at the top of the Yoga mat. Your should place more weight into the balls of your feet than the heels. Now start bringing your arms and hands above the head. The palms should face each other.
- Indulge in swan dive and bring the arms to the sides. Start by gracefully folding forward. Bring the hands to the heart center. You must hinge forward through the hip joints with a flat back
- You must continue to lengthen through the spine. The head must remain lifted. You should move your shoulder blades back and down. While you are trying to touch your fingertips to the floor in front of you.
- Now, you must release all the tension in your head and neck. The head must hang and hold the fold. You should engage in active breathwork at this time. You must breathe deeply into the entire backside of the body. You must rotate your inner hips open. The tailbone should point towards the sky.
- Try taking deep inhalations through the nose. You should allow long exhalations through the mouth. Hose this for pose for two to three minutes
- Now, start bringing the hands to the shin. Start rising. You must focus on coming out of this pose vertebra by vertebra. Rise your head in the end.
Cat Cow Pose:
Benefits Cat Cow Pose::
- Most women have digestion issues during periods and this pose aids in digestion
- It improves the mobility of the spine
- The pose also improves blood circulation
How to do Cat Cow Pose?
- You must do this pose in a table top position with your hands under your shoulders. Your knees should be under your hips. Your fingertips should face forward. It is crucial that you press down on your hands firmly.
- When you inhale, you must lower down the stomach and arch your back. Make sure that you broaden the chest. Lift the chest and the chin.
- Make sure that you focus on elongating the back of the neck. The abdominal muscles must be engaged to stretch the upper back.
- Hold this position for several breaths.
- You must return the spine to the original position to come out of this pose.
Benefits of Child Pose:
- Most women feel a lot of fatigue during the periods. The child pose stretches the ankles, thighs and the hips. It is useful in getting rid of fatigue.
- The pose is useful in relieving back and neck pain
- It calms the mind and lowers blood pressure
How to do Cat Cow Pose?
- You must begin on your hands and knees. It is vital that you try to slow down your thoughts at this point in time.
- The knees must be spread wide-apart. The buttocks should rest on the heels. If you have tight hips, then you can keep the thighs and knees together.
- Now, sit up straight and start lengthening your spine through the crown of your head.
- When exhaling start to bow forward. Start to drape the torso behind the thighs. The chest and heart must rest on the top of the thighs.
- You must allow the forehead to come to the floor.
- The arms must be long and palms must face forward. Start pressing back slightly with the hands to keep the buttocks in contact with the heels. Try lengthening from the hips to the armpits. Start extending further through the finger tips
- Your gaze should be inwards
- Try holding this position for a minute or longer.
Inverted Leg Pose:
Benefits of Inverted Leg Pose:
- Relieves lower back pain caused by periods
- Reduces swelling in the feet and legs
- Helps in getting rid of anxiety
How to do Inverted Leg Pose?
- Start off by finding a wall for leaning your legs against the wall.
- You must sit sideways and the hips must touch the wall or surface.
- You need to lie down on your back and start to swing the legs up the wall or the surface. The buttocks must be close to the wall.
- The legs must be relaxed and straight.
- The arms must rest on the floor beside you or you can consider placing them on your belly.
- Focus on your breath and consider closing your eyes.
- You must stay in this pose for five to ten minutes
- When you want to come out of this pose start to bend your knees and start rolling to one side
- Use your hands to sit-up
Bound Angle Pose:
Benefits of Bound Angle pose:
- Helps in relieving abdominal cramps
- Aids in digestion
- It also improves the flexibility
How to do Bound angle Pose?
- You need to sit on your mat with legs extended right in front of you.
- Start to bend your knees and try to bring the soles of your feet together. You must let the knees drop out to the sides. The heels must be as close to the pelvis as per your comfort.
- Make sure that you hold the ankles or feet with the hands.
- Try to sit straight and lengthen your spine. Press the knees down towards the mat.
- Try to stay in this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Try to breathe deeply and relax into the pose.
- For releasing, gently release your feet and extend your legs forward.
Reclined Bound Angle Pose:
Benefits of Reclined Bound Angle Pose:
- If you are unable to sleep due to period pain, the pose promotes comfortable sleep.
- It helps in getting rid of lower back tightness and pain.
- Helps to improve the digestive process.
How to do Reclined Bound Angle Pose?
- Lie flat on the back on a yoga mat with legs extended
- Bend the knees and start to bring the sole of the feet together, Let the knees fall out to the sides. The heels must be close to the pelvis as per your comfort
- Put the hands on your belly or on your body sides with your palms facing up.
- Start to relax the shoulders and allow the entire body to release into the pose.
- Remain in this position for several minutes. Breathing deeply and allow the body to relax and open.
- For releasing the pose, gently bring the knees together and roll onto one side before you push yourself up to a seated position.
Reclining Twist Pose:
Benefits of Reclining Twist Pose:
- Helps in stretching the spine.
- Can easily relieve back pain.
- Helps to massage the internal organs.
How to do Reclining Twist Pose?
- Start by lying on the back on a yoga mat with your legs extended.
- The arms should be on the sides with palms facing up or down.
- You must relax your shoulders and allow the entire body to release into the mat.
- Focus on your breath and close your eyes. Start to inhale deeply through the nose and exhale slowly through the mouth.
- You must stay in this position for several minutes. Allow the body to be calm and the mind to be relaxed.
Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend Pose:
Benefits of Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend Pose:
- It helps to stimulate the abdominal organs.
- Helps to relieve the lower back pain.
- The pose also helps in getting rid of anxiety.
How to do Wide angle seated forward Bend Pose?
- Sit on your mat with legs extended in front of you.
- Try to open your legs wide, the knees and toes must point upwards.
- Start to Flex your feet, press the heels and toes into the mat.
- Lengthen the spine, sit up, and draw the shoulders down and back.
- First Inhale, and as you exhale, begin to fold forward from the hips. Keep the spine long and your neck relaxed.
- Place the hands on the mat, or try to reach for your toes or ankles.
- Start breathing deeply and hold the pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute, relaxing into the stretch.
- For releasing, slowly come back up to a seated position, using your hands for support.
Supine Twist Pose:
Benefits of Supine Twist Pose:
- Improves the circulation
- Helps in getting rid of lower back pain
- Helps to stretch the spine
How to Do Supine Twist?
- Lie flat on your back on a yoga mat with your arms extended out to the sides in a T shape.
- Bend your knees and bring them into your chest.
- On an exhale, lower your legs down to the right side of your body, keeping your knees together.
- Turn your head to look over your left shoulder.
- Relax into the pose, taking deep breaths and allowing your body to soften and release tension.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or longer if it feels good.
- On an inhale, bring your knees back to the center, and repeat on the other side.
If you are suffering from period pain, do try out these poses to get relief. You will not need to remain hooked to pain killers.